There is very little that a driver can do to stop an imminent road crash. You may be operating a well-serviced vehicle while observing all the rules of the road, but other drivers may not be as law-abiding as you are. This means that there is always a chance that you will be involved in a collision. In such cases, you can hire an Orange County car accident lawyer to ensure that the cost of medical treatment you incurred is taken care of by the driver who was at fault or by the insurer.
Causes of Car Accidents
Car crashes are a normal occurrence on public roads. This is because other road users may be using defective, poorly maintained vehicles while others drive while drunk. Some road users also seem to always be in hurry, so they always exceed the speed limit. There are also some drivers who do not seem to understand the meaning of road signs and traffic signals, which is why they usually run a stop sign or a red light at busy intersections.
While drivers are usually to blame for road crashes, some accidents are just a matter of bad luck. For instance, a slippery road caused by a heavy downpour, poor visibility due to heavy fog and slippery highways resulting from formation of ice on the road cannot be avoid. That is why the law requires every driver to have a valid auto insurance policy that offers the minimum liability coverage set out by state law. This will ensure that all the injuries and property damage resulting from the accident are well taken care of by the auto insurer. If not, victims of an accident may want to consider hiring an Orange County car accident lawyer.
Why Hire a Car Accident Lawyer
Having auto insurance is a state requirement, but having liability protection exceeding the minimum required by law will give you peace of mind. When a car accident occurs, however, you will discover that your auto policy has many loopholes, which can be exploited by the insurance company with the aim of denying your claim or reducing the amount of money they pay out. Your car accident lawyer will calculate the total amount of financial losses you sustained in form of lost wages, medical bills, therapies and damage to your car and property. If you lost a loved one in the accident, the lawyer will also file an appropriate claim for compensation.
When to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer
When nursing wounds and recovering from emotional trauma, a person may not be able to even think about hiring a lawyer to help them get a fair compensation for their personal injuries. After recovering, you can start thinking about getting legal representation. Ideally, you should consider hiring a car accident lawyer when:
– The other party to the accident serves you with a lawsuit
– The circumstances surrounding the accident are complicated and may require an expert to investigate
– It’s been months since the accident, but you have still not received a decent compensation, and you’re worried about the statute of limitation in the state of California
– There’s disputed liability or you believe you were only partially liable for the accident
– The injured party is a child with more than slight injuries
– The insurance company has rejected your claim and refuses to reconsider their decision
– You are seriously injured and suffered long-term or permanent disability
– You believe your losses are quite significant but do not know how to calculate your personal injuries
It is important to note that a huge payment may not turn back the clock, make your injuries less severe or bring back a loved one who lost their life in the accident. However, it can make things easier for you by footing your medical bills and covering lost wages. It may also give you a sense that justice has been served, to some extent, at least.
How to Choose a Car Accident Lawyer
There are many ambulance-chasers in Orange County, so you will find yourself with dozens of business cards even before you regain full consciousness at the hospital. However, you should not rush to hire any of those lawyers. Instead, you should take your time to identify the most competent Orange County car accident lawyer. The most important factors to consider when hiring a car accident lawyer are:
– Experience: The number of years a lawyer has been handling personal injury cases as well as the number of cases they handled in the last one year are important considerations. The ideal lawyer should also have a lot of experience handling car accident cases, not just any personal injury case.
– Reputation: You do not want to be represented by an attorney who is known for being an ambulance-chaser. Therefore, you should do a little bit of background research to learn more about the reputation of an attorney before giving them power of attorney.
– Attorney Fees: Most car accident lawyers in Orange County offer a no-fee guarantee. In other words, they work on a contingency basis in that they only get paid if they win the case. Before you sign the power of attorney, therefore, you need to check the fee structure of the attorney to ensure they will not take too much of your compensation once it is awarded.
– Availability: This is always an important consideration. It may be nice to be represented by the top car accident lawyer in town, but you may not get the desired results due to unavailability of the lawyer. Before choosing a lawyer, therefore, be sure to check their caseload to ensure they will always be available to handle your case. There is nothing as bad as showing up in a courtroom alone, only for the hearing to be postponed because of your attorney’s absenteeism.